Hair care & its Benefits
The following components can help one to get healthy and silky hair:
1. Onions (Allium Cepa)
Onions, a famous vegetable is known for many medicinal properties. Its tastes range from sweet juicy to sharp, spicy and pungent, often depending on the season in which people grow and consume them. It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals and potent plant compounds which are known to offer a variety of health benefits. They are used to treat ailments like headaches, heart disease and mouth sores.
Benefits of Onions :-
· Lower risk of developing lung cancer, Alzheimer’s and colorectal cancer.
· Reduces the level of bad cholesterol and stops the formations of blood clots.
· Lowers the risk of heart disease and strokes.
· Promotes insulin production and improves gut health.
· Strengthens bone health and prevents osteoporosis and boost bone density.
· Gets rid of pigmentation and protects from harmful UV rays.
· Improves skin and hair texture.
· Control blood sugar for people with diabetes or prediabetes.
2. Bhringraj (Eclipta Prostrata)
Bhringraj, the king of herbs belongs to the sunflower family and is world widely used for growing long, silky and strong hair. It’s rich in proteins, vitamins and antioxidants which helps promotes hair growth and reduce grey hair. Bhringraj anti-inflammatory properties, provides a soothing and cooling effect when applied to the skin. It balances Vata and Kapha (water or earth) doshas. It’s cooling, rejuvenating properties benefits to the mind and nervous system while it also supports the liver, circulation and even healthy skin.
Benefits of Bhringraj :-
· Helps calm the mind, reduces stress and improves sleep cycle.
· Clear out excess heat from the liver and increases healthy bile flow.
· Effective in relieving skin diseases and gives radiant skin.
· Relieve headaches and migraines
· Promotes hair growth, strengthens hair strands and prevents hair fall.
· Bhringraj juice cleans, detoxifies the liver, balances the doshas and improves the liver’s functioning.
3. Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Amla, or Indian Gooseberry is a highly potent medicinal plant known for its innumerable healing properties. It contains five tastes – sweet, sour, bitter, astringent and pungent that helps in the functioning of both mind and body. With high concentrations of vitamin C it helps the body recover from illness, improved memory and strengthens overall health.
Benefits of Amla :-
· Reduce blood glucose levels and lipid count in people with type 2 diabetes.
· Helps the body to regulate bowel movements and relieve symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
· Improves vision and lowers the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
· Increases the number of white blood cells, strengthens the body’s defence mechanism, and flushes out toxic chemicals.
· Improves liver function, boosts vitality and provides energy.
· Rejuvenates hair follicles, prevents hair loss and baldness.
4. Lemongrass (Cymbopogon)
Lemongrass, a tropical grassy plant used commonly in cooking and herbal medicine. With a tangy lemony scent flavours, its widely used in Indian, Thai and Vietnamese cooking as well as medicine. Its strong lemony aroma freshens the air, clears the body and mind. Its an excellent natural mosquito repellent and adds a healthful spice taste to our summer drinks.
Benefits of Lemongrass :-
· Reduces anxiety and acts as a pain killer.
· Lowers down high cholesterol level.
· Improve dental health and keeps mouth clean.
· Increases haemoglobin level and red blood cell in the body.
· Prevents gastric ulcers and treats nausea.
· Relieves coughs and congestion.
5. Shikakai (Acacia Concinna)
Shikakai means “fruit for hair” is a part of the traditional Indian ayurvedic medicine. It helps manage hair fall and prevents dandruff due to its cleansing and antifungal properties. The pods, leaves and bark of Shikakai are rich in Vitamin A, C, D, E and K which together helps cleansing hair, used in making hair oil and hair masks to nourish and help hair grow faster. It’s extremely beneficial both to human health and the environment. Its used as a biological surfactant to clean laundry, dishes, hair and our skin.
Benefits of Shikakai :-
· Acts as a hair cleanser and boost hair growth.
· Prevent lice, dandruff or skin problems like scabies, psoriasis and eczema from occurring.
· Used as an antiseptic to heal wounds.
· Repairs damaged hair, prevents split ends and stops hair from getting brittle and coarse.
· Prevents hair loss and cures baldness.
· Used to wash delicate fabrics and remove solid stain marks.
· Cures gum disease, prevents bad breath and building up of plaque.
· Regulates blood sugar levels, treats black fever and Jaundice.
6. Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)
Tea tree oil, also known as melaleuca oil is derived from the Australian plant Melaleuca alternifolia. It’s been used as a main ingredient to make skin lotions and products. It balances all the three ayurvedic tridoshas – Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas. It’s coined as ‘Knight In Shining Armor’ because it protects the body against all kinds of infections and various allergic reactions.
Benefits of Tea tree oil :-
Reduces acne severity.
Improves nail appearance and symptoms of toenail fungus
Significantly reduced symptoms of dandruff.
Acts as a moisturizer for dry skin
Promotes hair growth and scalp healing.
Removes skin tags easily
Reduces inflammation and reduces appearance of scars.
Used as a surface disinfectant or hand sanitizer.
7. Almonds (Prunus Dulcis)
Almonds, are nutrient powerhouses which are highly nutritious and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that are good for our body. The edible part of the almond is a seed from a drupe, a fruit in which the outer shell and hull layers are typically not eaten. It can be consumed in varied form; whole, chopped, sliced, almond flour or almond butter. It’s known for its versatility and health benefits on heart health, diabetes and weight management.
Benefits of Almonds :-
· Increases the levels of antioxidants in the body that protects us from ageing and various other diseases.
· Controls blood pressure and cholesterol.
· Reduces heart disease risk and prevents anaemia.
· Protects eyes and prevents abnormal changes to the lens.
· Nourishes the skin and acts as an anti-ageing property for the skin.
· Reduces risk of developing colon and breast cancer.
· Effective for treating stretch marks by nourishing the skin and preventing skin tear.
8. Reetha (Sapindus Mukorossi)
Reetha, a renowned medicinal plant known for its detoxifying properties. It’s a perfect medicine for treating skin and psychiatric disorders. The roots and bark of Reetha are usually bitter and astringent, but they possess excellent medicinal properties. Its commonly used in making hair care products for maintaining shiny, lustrous and healthy hairs.
Benefits of Reetha:-
· Enhances shine of the hair and reduces dryness.
· Helps improve the skin glow and sustenance.
· Reduce the chances of skin itching and inflammation.
· Beneficial in weight control.
· Improves metabolism and clears the blockages in the circulatory system of the body.
· Helps clean hair, skin and clothing.
· Helpful in wound cleaning and promotes faster healing.
9. Mehndi (Lawsonia Inermis)
Mehandi or Heena is an evergreen plant a member of the Loosestrife family. The red-ish brown dye is made by crushing the dried leaves and then mixing the fine powder with other natural and acidic ingredients such as eucalyptus oil, lemon juice, or black tea. It’s a popular beauty herbs in India and tropical countries that is known for its cooling effects. Widely used for auspicious occasions like weddings, religious ceremonies and many more. In the western culture its primarily used as a natural hair dye or a trendy ornamental form of hand and foot art.
Benefits of Mehandi :-
· Makes hair healthy, glossy and voluminous.
· Clear up irritation, pain and infections from the nails.
· Treats all types of skin conditions like itching, allergy, skin rashes and wounds.
· Protects skin against infections and eliminates inflammation.
· Provides faster relief from headaches and prevents plaque formation.
· Prevents platelet build-up in the heart and arteries, preventing heart attacks and stroke.
· Smoothens the body, mind and improves sleep cycle.